Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year's Resolution: Conquering the Unread Bookcase

Since I started writing I've been very concerned with the books I'm reading. To be more specific, I'm concerned with the books I'm not reading. Over the years I've collected quite a few books that I've been planning to read but haven't gotten around to yet. Here's a picture of my bookcase:


I'd say that about 10% of those books are actually read, the rest are just sitting there collecting dust. I've determined that before I spend anymore money amassing a larger library of unread books I'm going to read through all the books in my collection that I haven't read yet. Here are the ground rules for this project:
  • Have no more than three books going at one time, currently I have more than that going but once I finish some of those I'll maintain that narrow focus of only reading three books (1 Classic Literature, 1 Contemporary Fiction and 1 Non-fiction book).
  • I will not spend any of my own money on new books. If I am given a book as a gift or given a gift card or store credit that I use for purchasing a book it will immediately be added to the bookshelf and become a part of this project.
  • If someone lends me a book to read I will read it as a part of this project. Obligation reading is essentially what this project is about (but hey, reading is still reading).
Since I was a child I've always had a special reverence for books. The way they look all lined up on a shelf and the way a new book smells; it all creates this amazing atmosphere. But I'm afraid I neglect the most important aspect of a book, the information inside and how it can teach and transport a person to new people, places and things.

So I've taken the first step, I registered for the website Goodreads.com and added all the unread books in my bookcase to my to-read list. This is my New Years resolution, to conquer the unread bookcase!

Updates will be forthcoming!

No comments: